When I lived in Oakland, there was a place on International Blvd that had THE BEST bahn mi’s I’ve ever had in the US. I crave them all the time now that I don’t live there. If you’ve never had one, they’re amazing! They’re pretty simple, with just some meat (usually pork, but I like chicken), pickled carrots and daikon (root veggie), cucumber, cilantro, jalapenos and some sauce on a bun.
But in this house, we try to stay away from bread or dairy, most of the time. So to satisfy my cravings, I decided to make a bowl. All the tasty bahn mi ingredients but with rice instead of a big bun! 🙂 The bowl takes a little prep, with marinading the chicken and pickling the daikon and carrots. It’s all so worth it in the end though. Side note, people usually cut the carrots and daikon into matchsticks. I’m not very good at that, so to save time and effort, I just slice them with a food processor. Also, I hate cilantro, so I always use mint instead but traditionally the sandwiches have cilantro. Feel free to pick which one you like best.
Slowcooker Chicken Banh Mi Bowl
- 1lb chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons siracha
- 2-4 rainbow carrots, sliced or matchsticked
- 1 medium daikon, sliced or matchsticked
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar (or vinegar of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 2-4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1-2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons of mint, roughly diced
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, sesame oil, tamari, and siracha. Pour over chicken in a glass dish or ziplock bag and put in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- In a mixing bowl, combine water, vinegar, salt, and honey. Add in carrots and daikon and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- When chicken is done marinating, preheat an indoor or outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Grill on preheated grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5-7 minutes each side.
- Slice or dice chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Assemble rice, chicken, pickles, cabbage, cucumber, jalapeno, and mint in a bowl and enjoy!